Reading for Life Program
The Reading for Life home program is an initiative to support parents and carers to deliver 15 specially designed reading sessions to help their child build important literacy skills – suitable for children in Years 1 to 4.
The program is currently being offered for FREE to families in the Bankstown, Burwood and Canada Bay LGAs in Sydney as well as in regional and rural areas, with training sessions in October and November.
Reading for Life is an evidence-based one-on-one literacy support program developed by a team of psychologists, teachers and speech pathologists from Learning Links. The program has proven to help children who have difficulties reading to gain foundation literacy skills and build greater confidence in their learning abilities.
Free training, resources and support
Children and families interested in participating in the program will receive the following:
- A three-hour group Reading for Life parent training session with one of Learning Links’ Provisional Psychologists – delivered online using the Zoom video platform
- A home Reading for Life pack with fun reading games, tools and information to help your child during your reading sessions
- Five phone calls with a Learning Links Provisional Psychologist over the 15-sessions to provide support with the material and discuss any questions you may have, particularly regarding your child’s progress as a result of COVID-19 disruptions.
What does each reading session look like?
In each 45-minute session, you’ll use the fun, engaging and easy to use resources in your Reading for Life pack to work on:
- Building a relationship (5 minutes)
- Sight words (5 minutes)
- Knowledge of sounds (5 minutes)
- Reading (15 minutes)
- Applying all skills (10 minutes)
- Celebrating the effort by completing communication book (5 minutes)
At the end of the program, children, parents and their classroom teachers will be invited to complete a survey, so we can continue to make improvements. Learning Links will prepare on-going reports on the program – all reports will use fictitious names.
To effectively participate in the program, parents need to:
✓ Undertake a three hour training session with a Learning Links psychologist, where you will learn how to work at home with your child, who may have literacy issues and other learning difficulties
✓ Participate in the evaluation of Reading for Life
✓ Have a desire to help permanently improve the future educational outcomes of your child!
Sign up for Reading For Life
Pick a training session time that works for you and click ‘Register Now’ to sign up:
- Saturday 24 October, 1.00pm-4.00pm Register Now>
- Friday 30 October, 9.30am-12.30pm Register Now>
- Saturday 7 November, 12.30pm-3.30pm Register Now >
For more information about Reading for Life parent programs or training session times, contact our For Life team on 0452 249 665 or at email@example.com
The Reading for Life parent training sessions and programs are generously sponsored by Burwood RSL, The Canada Bay Club, The Communities for Children and The Rali Foundation.