The Incredible Years® Dinosaur School is a comprehensive evidence-based early intervention program that is effective in improving children’s social emotional competence, communication, self-regulation, school readiness and positive behaviours.
Who will benefit from the program?
Learning Links is running the Dinosaur School early intervention program for children aged 4-8 years facing a range of social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, including those with ADD/ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), conduct problems, developmental delays, speech disorders and undiagnosed communication delays.
To fully benefit from the program, children require verbal communication skills and the ability to participate in a small group, follow instructions, ask and answer basic questions appropriate for this age group.
Learning Links will also be running a similar parent support program, specifically for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and speech and language delays, in the coming months. Please get in touch with us to discuss which program would be most beneficial for your child and family.
What is included in the program?
The program consists of an initial interview with the parent, followed by small-group child sessions with a maximum of 6 children per group. The groups will be run by two psychologists.
Learning Links runs the program weekly during school terms over 10-15 weeks. Each session is 1-2 hours duration, and parents/carers are required to attend. Duration and session times differ depending on location.
Children participate in structured group activities and discussions, with a range of fun dinosaur themes, games and characters. Facilitators use puppets, videos and role plays to help children learn vital social, communication and emotional skills and build confidence. The dinosaur-themed content units include:
- Apatasaurus Unit: Making Friends and Learning School Rules
- Iguanodon Unit: Dina Teaches How to Do Your Best in School
- Triceratops Unit: Understanding and Detecting Feelings
- Stegosaurus Unit: Wally Teaches Problem Solving Steps
- Tyrannosaurus Rex Unit: Anger Management
- Allosaurus Unit: Molly Manners Teaches How to be Friendly
- Brachiosaurus Unit: Molly Explains How to Talk With Friends
Each session will be made up of circle time, small group practice and play activities.
How will the program support my child?
Dinosaur School aims to strengthen children’s social and emotional competencies and communication skills, helping them develop in a range of areas, including:
- understanding and communicating feelings
- listening, waiting and understanding rules
- identifying problems, finding solutions and thinking about consequences
- teamwork, sharing and helping
- self-regulation, managing anger and frustration
- making friends and having conversations
- developing positive behaviours
The Dinosaur School early intervention groups will be running in Term 3 in Bella Vista (6-8 years) and Oatley (4-6 years).
Details for Oatley groups will be confirmed shortly.
Call 1300 003 900 or enquire online to add your child’s name to our waitlist.