Counting for Life Program
The Counting for Life home program is an initiative to support parents and carers to deliver 10 specially designed maths sessions to help their child build important numeracy and maths skills – suitable for children in Years 2 to 5.
The program is currently being offered for FREE to families in areas across Sydney, Wollongong and regional and rural locations, with training sessions throughout October.
Counting for Life is an evidence-based one-on-one numeracy support program developed by a team of psychologists and teachers from Learning Links. The program has proven to help children who have difficulties with maths to gain foundation numeracy skills and build greater confidence in their learning abilities.
Free training, resources and support
Children and families interested in participating in the program will receive the following:
- A three-hour group Counting for Life parent training session with one of Learning Links’ Provisional Psychologists – delivered online using the Zoom video platform
- A home Counting for Life pack with fun maths games, tools and information to help your child during your maths sessions
- Five phone calls with a Learning Links Provisional Psychologist over the 10 sessions to provide support with the materials and discuss any questions you may have, particularly regarding your child’s progress as a result of COVID-19 disruptions.
What does each maths session look like?
In each weekly 45-minute session, you’ll use the fun, engaging and easy to use resources in your Counting for Life pack to work on:
- Building a relationship (approximately 5 minutes)
- Counting Patterns (approximately 5 minutes)
- Place Value (approximately 5 minutes)
- Addition & Subtraction OR Multiplication & Division (approximately 15 minutes)
- Worded Problems (10 minutes)
- Celebrating effort (approximately 5 minutes)
At the end of the program, children, parents and their classroom teachers will be invited to complete a survey, so we can continue to make improvements. Learning Links will prepare on-going reports on the program – all reports will use fictitious names.
To effectively participate in the program, parents need to:
✓ Undertake a three hour training session with a Learning Links psychologist, where you will learn how to work at home with your child, who may have numeracy issues and other learning difficulties
✓ Participate in the evaluation of Counting for Life
✓ Have a desire to help permanently improve the future educational outcomes of your child!
Sign up for Counting For Life
Pick a training session time that works for you and click ‘Register Now’ to sign up: